Sunday, June 17, 2012

Extended Desktop - Extended Reading

Today, I could grab a spare monitor(screen) which was lying on someone's desk. And I rushed to connect it to my system. After playing with wires, now I have an extended desktop. 
 
Without extended desktop, while working on my tasks, if I'd get a pop-up of an interesting mail, I'd open it. I would skim over it and minimize it so that I can read it immediately after finishing my current task, which never happened. With this way I'd collect lots of emails, articles to read. At end of the day, before leaving if I remember to check my list, I'd read one or two and would leave. While working, if I'm stuck on some activity like running builds which last for a minute or so or Windows taking time to open a window, I would open my list of to-reads to pick one of the items. But still, to know if my build is finished, I'd keep switching between the windows which never resulted in effective reading. So I avoided this multi-tasking.

But now, with extended desktop, I get a pop-up of a mail, I open it, I drag  it to the new desktop and keep it open until I finish the current task. If I'm stuck on something I just need to move my eyes between desktops. Moving eyes is a lot faster than switching between windows and that too on Windows. Yipee!

Another benefit of this desktop is, I can keep distracting pop-ups on main desktop and keep the window where I want to focus on secondary one. 

Also, when I want to monitor 2 windows simultaneously, it's lot easier now.

Life is smoother now. I can also not lose the temptations of doing something immediately without forgetting of what I was doing previously. Like I wrote this post *now*... OK, enough of expressing the joy. Going back to do what I was doing.. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh its to cool pranali